Sunday, December 31, 2006

New Toyota Corolla Altis - 10th Gen?

I was checking out some autoblog I found previously only to come across a picture announcing the European version of the 10th Gen Toyota Corolla. Not sure if this is old news, but my dad has been waiting for the new Altis to be launched since...forever. The last we got was just a face lift. Instead of getting half-ball LED rear lights, you got a full ball instead. Real...creative? That aside, I'm guessing Malaysia would be getting something similar since we share most European models, as opposed to the American marketed models.

I'm just curious to see what Toyota has under it's sleeve to rival Honda and it's new Civic. What engine variants will be offered? What extra techno-goodies can buyers expect? Last but not least, every Malaysians focus point. The price. The 1.8lt i-VTEC Civic goes for around 115-117k OTR, if I am not mistaken. So the Altis should be around this price range as well, if not slightly more. Same as the current Accord vs Camry pricing structure.

Based on the picture I got of the autoblog (http://www.autoblog.com/2006/12/04/finally-toyota-shoots-the-corrola-10th-generation-corrola-deb/), it does have the styling cue of the current Malaysian '07 Toyota Camry. Not surprising with most car manufacturers these days. An interesting thing I noticed was the tail-light, which seems to be a little pronounced (read bulging). It's almost like what Ferrari did to the F430's tail-lights, if I must say.

Only time will tell when Toyota will unveil this on Malaysian soil, but many are awaiting with anticipation and I pretty sure sales will be breezy. Handpicked pictures (courtesy of autoblog) are below and you can read more about the European launch at the link I listed above:

Camry-esque front-end


Rear-view shot


Close-up of the rear


Side-shot

No comments: