Monday, January 8, 2007

Eat 2 survive or survive 2 Eat

Words can't express the sheer cruelty my stomach is facing. Exactly the same time yesterday, I treated my stomach to a gastrnomic culinary adventure at a superb place for eats, Checkers. It is located within Bukit Damansara area and can be quite tough to locate. However, nothing was coming between my stomach and a nice warm meal. I persevered and it was paid off handsomely indeed.

I did some homework after the meal and found a couple of good reviews on Checkers.

= Good Review, but take note the closed days seem to vary =

= Handy MAP! =

= Reserve! Reserve! Reserve! =

= Pasankia's Blog =

Anywho, who cares if someone else has blogged about it. Good food deserves a second, third, fourth etc mention. Nawooz's blog is proud to bring you, Checkers: The Dirty Dozen Ribs. Nope. The owner did not pay me for advertising or did he offer me anything for this post. In fact, he doesn't know about it at all. Mr. Sam, if you are reading this. Here's to you (and Mr. Tan) and Checkers for an outstanding meal.

A thing to note, Checkers is non-halal. Meaning they serve pork. A no-no for the Muslims, but a heaven for porky pig lovers. They have a variety of other offerings, but it seems like ribs are de facto orders. In this case, I asked Sam what was his recommendation as it was my first time (virgin) there. He had this twinkle in his eye and asked me if I was hungry. Being the usual glutton, I of course said yes. A friendly warning to my readers, the ribs can and WILL serve 2 medium eaters alright. Don't say Nawooz didn't warn ya. Sam smiled and told me he had just the thing for me.

15 minutes later, Sam appeared with this huge plate of eats and sat it right smack in front of me. He pulled up a chair right opposite me and started to explain the different cuts I would be digging into. Me love backribs!!!! I'll just state what was on the plate as the pictures might not justify the food. Two freakin slabs of succulent ribs superbly marinated. A whole corn cob swabbed with salted butter if my tastebuds didn't deceive me. Homemade mash potatoes topped with a pepper(?) sauce to complement it. A toss of salad. To accompany the ribs, there was BBQ gravy and a special concoction of onions, herbs drowned in olive oil for the salad dressing.

For the un-initiated, please leave your fork and knife alone. Use your fingers as this is the best way to enjoy the ribs. Seriously. My first bite was pure bliss. The ribs were cooked until just right. Juicy and tender. MMmmmmmmMMM!!! The flesh literally slid away from the bones and packed a mouthful of delight. Makes me salivate everytime I think about it. None of that, bite and tear away meat stuff shown on Discovery channel with lions. If there were ever a word to coin it, I would opt for cooked to perfection.

I had a nice slow meal whilst chatting with Sam and Mr. Tan occasionally. Halfway through, Mr. Tan suddenly announced that in 10 minutes time, the Mexican Pork would be done. Sufferin Succotash! That sounded reallllllll scrumptious. Pity I was so full, there was not even space for desserts. Boohooo! However, it does gimme an excuse to go back there again ;) Tee hee hee.

The total bill for the ribs and iced lemon tea (in a jar) came shy of RM50. Not too bad for a big western meal. It may be preferably be reserved for special occasions though.

Enough with the banter. No food blog entry is complete without photos. Really didn't do justice to the food, but it's better than nothing. Enjoy peoples.

Checkers


Ribs...yummmmmmmm


Obligatory closeup shot


Homemade Iced Lemon Tea


A moment of silence for the pig, who gave up it's life for my culinary adventure

2 comments:

anjali* said...

Yeap. Totally agree.
Checker's ribs are super yummy!

Anonymous said...

hehe...yeah...i've tasted TGIF so called famous ribs but Checkers is totally different in terms of texture.

making plans for a 2nd trip to try other stuff on their menu. Mexican Pork, Kurau Fish steak and the drowned ice-cream/cake. food glorious food!