Monday, November 27, 2006

Something your parents gave you...

No it's not the four letter word, Life. It's your name.

How many people actually know what their name means? Or how your name was given by your parents? I know of some people, whose names were accidently crowned on the very bed they were born. All thanks to the nurse that was hard on hearing. If there is one thing I've learnt from all the scary stories, it's to have your child's name thought out way before the delivery rather than some botched-up last minute whadatoot shall we name "it".

Whenever I am alone, my idle mind is taken over by creatures. Creatures that have nothing better to think than some inane subject like a name. I have made this observation and have come up with some dumb theory about names. The closer you are to the person, the less you use their name. It's so friggin contradictory, if I may say so. Go ahead. Observe your group of friends and see how they are address by another friend. I've compiled a simple list of name replacements I've heard so far:

1) Dude - as in "Whassup dude" as opposed to "Whassup, Jon"
2) Man - "You can't do this to me, man" instead of "You can't do this to me, Jon"
3) Budak (means kid in Malay) - "Oi, budak!" instead of "Oi, Jon"
4) Woman - "Hey, woman" instead of "Hey, Lulu"

So the theory is, the closer someone is to you, the less they use your name. Expect to be addressed in mutated forms of insults or generalized terms :D

Yay! I have just successfully wasted 15 mins of my life writing that. You? It would depend on how fast you read....tee hee hee.

2 comments:

Wye Jon said...

wtf... stop using my name or pay royalties!!!

Nawooz said...

Stop being such a baby, Jon. There are more than one Jon in this world, but if you must know. The usage of Jon in all my previous and future posts, will refer to the one and only Jon, who has mutated "tadpoles". Hurry up and get proper kids, who will talk to you and not stare back with beady eyes only!

BTW, I sincerely apologize for not making it to your wedding dude. I was looking forward to it, but the customs state otherwise. Also, you heard about Shum's loss? His grandma passed away, God Bless her soul. That's why he had to cancel last minute. He couldn't tell me or you on that day due to the un-auspiciousness of that foreboding news.